Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

My knowledge of alcohol aka Making Risotto

I have been trying to spruce up our family menu selection.  Foods that are new for all 6 of us.  Risotto is a regular on Master Chef and so I decided to give it a try.   I started cooking and realized I needed cooking wine, I also remembered an earlier recipe I had read that stated I could substitute white wine vinegar for the cooking wine.  I decided Rice Vinegar should do the trick.  As I went to add the Vinegar the conflicting smell told me it was a bad idea.  But what did I know, my knowledge of Alcohol is very limited.
What I know about alcohol Knowledge Gleaned from
tastes badaccidentally drinking apple juice that had fermented in a water , age 7
cooks out4th grade slumber party, the dad made beer pancakes for breakfast
doesn't take much to make me sillysenior year, homeopathic cough remedy, I took more then suggested, much much more, it was homeopathic and therefore safe… it was also 25% grain alcohol
lack of oxygen makes grapes wine, oxygen makes it vinegarBones - The Critic in the Cabernet
burns and makes you feel warm all overNyQuil!  Curse DH for introducing me to that stuff

After making Risotto I can add something else to my list.  You can not substitute vinegar for wine.  My sister tasted my Risotto and said that my texture was pretty good for a first attempt, and gave me a polite smile about my faux pas with the vinegar. 

I am not sure I will be making Risotto again, at least not anytime soon.  It is very time intensive. Gradually stirring in chicken stock to rice is not my idea of a great time, especially when DS#2 is tugging on your apron the entire process, and the result is rice... bad rice in my case.  For the time being I think I will stick to my rice cooker.  The most time intensive part of that is washing it!  But for those of you who would like to try making Risotto here are some recipes.

How to Make Risotto

Basic Risotto Recipe

Best of luck in your Risotto pursuits, let me know how it works for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your story here!