Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Brasil - Pao de Queijo and Feijoada



DH lived in Brasil for two years.  When we lived in a metropolis we would eat at a local rodizio, since moving to small town several years ago I have been missing two of my favorites, 
Pao de Queijo and Feijoada. 
 I made them tonight, I totally cheated on the feijoada, using what I had on hand, but it turned out yummy.


I got my recipes from All Recipes, but altered them to my liking (aka, what I had in the freezer and time)  The link takes you to the original recipe.  My version is posted below.

Feijoada   - Brasilian Black Bean Stew
3 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cloves of minced garlic
1/2 pound of ground sausage
1/2 pound of bacon, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup water
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 bay leaves, crushed
1/8 teaspoon corriander
cilantro as garnish (I didn't have any, which is weird, and it was missed)

1. Use a bigger pot to sautee onion and garlic in olive oil, add sausage and bacon and cook until bacon gets crispy.
2.  Add beans, chicken stock, water, corriander, and bay leaves. 
3.  Simmer until hot.  Can simmer as long as you need, I simmered about 90 minutes, adding water as needed, i only added about a 1/4 cup of water.  There is very little broth when served.
We serve it over rice, but it can be eaten alone.

Pao de Queijo - Cheese Bread
This link is the same recipe as below, my notes are in red.
This recipe is also GLUTEN FREE
Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup olive oil or butter  (I doubled the recipe and did half butter, half olive oil)
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1/3 cup milk or soy milk
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups tapioca flour
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese  (I used a combination of Swiss and Parmesan)
  • 2 beaten eggs

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  2. Pour olive oil, water, milk, and salt into a large saucepan, and place over high heat. When the mixture comes to a boil, remove from heat immediately, and stir in tapioca flour and garlic until smooth. Set aside to rest (or cool)for 10 to 15 minutes. (I just whisked in the garlic, then added the flour, I may have added a bit too much as it was not what I would call smooth.  It was reminded me of making cream of creature in grade school science.  It was almost chalk like.  I could be shaped into a ball or crumbled, I actually had to mix it by hand)
  3. Stir the cheese and egg into the tapioca mixture until well combined, the mixture will be chunky like cottage cheese. (I whisked the egg and cheese together in my stand mixer then added the flour/milk paste)
  4. Drop rounded, 1/4 cup-sized balls of the mixture onto an ungreased baking sheet.
  5. Bake in preheated oven until the tops are lightly browned, 15 to 20 minutes.         

My hubby said I did an excellent job and that they tasted authentic!  I was excited, good results for a first try.    Also, the recipe said 6 servings so I doubled it.  I didn't need to.  We had over 30 pieces, all the size shown in the picture.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your story here!