Pages

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Cold & Creamy (Raw, Vegan, GlutenFree, Organic, Fresh) Nutty Bananna Protein Shake


I have been refining a Protein Shake for a few weeks now.  I needed a raw whole protein shake to go along with my juice cleanse.  I know it isn't a juice but I have low blood sugar, so this was a happy medium.  Healthy protein, raw, organic, whole and no allergies.  My inspiration came from my love of  Peanut Butter and Banana. 

Banana Cashew Protein Shake Recipe

1 cup water
3Tablespoons Chia Seed (Available at Costco)
3 Medjool Dates (pitted) (Available at Costco)
1/3 cup Raw* Cashews (bulk foods)
1+ Banana ( I use frozen)
scoop of ice
OPTIONAL (but yummy) 1 Tablespoon of Cocoa Baking Powder

Makes 24oz, which is more than enough to fill me up and my toddlers each have a small cup.

You really need a good blender (I use a VitaMix) for this drink, cashews aren't as soft as most blended foods, but the raw version are softer.
I blend up all but the Banana & Ice till its smooth. 
Then I add the frozen Banana & Ice as the high speeds of the VitaMix on the small volume of nuts and seeds makes it warm. 

Shake is cold and creamy and for a Protein/Health Shake its pretty tasty.  Especially if you splurge on the chocolate, and really its just cocoa powder, no cream or added sugar.


Now lets discuss the Nutritional Facts:

Calories: 717
Fat: 33grams (but its all good healthy fats, Omegas!)
Protein: 22grams
Fiber: 15 grams
Potassium: 1297mg
Sugar: 62 grams (not processed)
Iron: 18%
Magnesium: 31%
Vitamin B6: 20% from the Banana alone

All ingredients are touted as super foods!  

Bananas are a sweet fruit, but the high fiber content balances the sugars making it a great sweet snack for diabetics and the rest of us.

Cashews are high in calories and fat, but PACKED with nutrition, so just don't eat them all day.  Magnesium is good for heart health, reduces migraines, and speeds recovery to sore/fatigue muscles.  They are also high in copper, a mineral that helps the body utilize the iron  it needs.  Copper also helps rid the body or free radicals, increases energy production, and flexibility. 

Chia Seeds are high in Protein, and its plant protein so it is also low in saturated (bad) fats.  The fats found in Chia are Omegas which are a natural anti inflammatory.  The high protein and fiber content keeps you feeling full longer, so you eat less!  They also keep things um...regular...which is an issue many pregnant , moms, women have.

Give it a try, let me know what you think!

*No cashew is truly raw, as the skin is toxic, but the nuts labeled raw are less processed and less processing = better retention of nutrition.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your story here!