Pages

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Gringo Girl Cheater Salsa

I love salsa, but am very picky about it.  
        I don't like biting into soggy vegetables
               I don't love a lot of heat, I like it to add flavor, not overwhelm. 
 
I created this recipe to my liking, and it has been well liked whenever I bring it to potlucks, so enjoy!
 
BONUS: it's quick, easy, and tastes great even in the winter when tomatoes are nasty.

The Gringo part is obvious.  The Cheater part...
Canned Tomatoes!!
 
 
1 can Mexican Stewed Tomatoes (I use Kroger Brand, but that's just because I am frugal)
1 handful of cilantro
1 chunk of red onion (a little less than a quarter of a medium sized one)
1 Tablespoon lime juice
1 teaspoon salt or season salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic
1/4 teaspoon cumin

Put it all in a blender, puree
 
Taste it and adjust seasonings to your taste.  The more onion, the more heat the salsa will have.
 
I have friends who like lots of heat and will add hot peppers and say it tastes yummy. 
I have also found that adding bell peppers makes it too sweet and dilutes the flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your story here!