Pages

Sunday, April 14, 2013

St. Lucia's Crown

I first made this sweet bread for 4-H when I was like 13.  Pretty daunting task, didn't turn out awesome.  I think I still got a red ribbon though.  Then last year my cousin's decided it was high time us Swedes had a day all our own. 
 I thought it was a great idea, and I dug out my recipe for St. Lucia's Crown.
It turned out slightly better than the first effort.
 
This year I found a new recipe.  It was much yummier!  It called for orange zest and juice instead of almond.  I love Orange Cranberry and I happened to have a bag of Crasins in the pantry so we had and Orange Cranberry St. Lucia's Crown!
 
 I changed the process as I use a Bosch mixer, and like many yeast bread recipes, this one is written for hand mixing.
 
This is what I did:
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 Tablespoon active dry yeast
  • 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar (pretty sure I just did 1/3cup)
  • 6 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup orange juice (I added more cause I really like orange).
  • 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • Pour 1 1/2 cups into a 2 cup glass measuring cup or a pint jar (or larger).
  • Drop in 6 Tablespoons of butter
  • Microwave until butter melts (took mine about 90 seconds).
  • Measure the sugar into the mixing bowl.
  • Pour hot milk & butter into the sugar and whisk while it dissolves the sugar and cools the milk a bit.
  • Sprinkle yeast over the milk mixture.  Let proof (or get bubbly) about 5 minutes.
  • While proofing: whisk 2 eggs in now cooled milk heating container, add orange juice and zest. 
  • Start mixing milk mixture, add egg mixture while mixer is running.
  • Sift in the flour & salt.
  • Knead till gluten develops, add Craisins (if desired about a minute before kneading is done).
  • Let rise till doubled.  Warmer rooms speed this process.
  • Punch down.  Divide into 3 equal sections.  Roll each section into a rope 30-36" long.
  • Braid the 3 sections together.
  • Leave the ends unbraided so when you turn it into a circle you can braid and connect them.
  • Let Rise another 30-45 minutes, then bake till golden in a 350* oven, about 20 minutes.
 

I obviously didn't do the best job intertwining the ends.

but it still turns out pretty and tasted yummy.

 

Pour this glaze over the top:
1/3 cup butter mixed with 2 cups powdered sugar
(it's super thick and hard to stir, but mix it together over medium heat)
Thin with Orange Juice, about 1/4 cup

Decorate however you desire.
Tradition calls for candles, but since we like the bread fresh from the oven they usually melt a bit, but its easy to pick out.


St. Lucia's Day is usually celebrated on December 13th but we celebrate it as a part of our family's Swede Day (which is held in April, a month with few celebrations as opposed to the packed month of December).  Custom states that the eldest daughter dresses in all white and wears a crown of lights on her head and serves the sweet bread to her family.  #1 thought this was silly, but I think she felt pretty special.
 
As a note of interest we ate Swedish Meatballs for dinner.  This recipe was SO DELICIOUS!

2 comments:

Share your story here!